web stats analysis

Friday, October 23, 2009

Don't lose your family's history from your Parents & Grandparents

Today I am going to share some additional background information from my book "Gibbon's Secrets".  I have been blessed with a family willing to share their personal histories with their family members, therefore history that could have been lost has been saved.

I have been able to share this history with anyone that will read my book "Gibbon's Secrets".  My dad, Reg Phelps, saved his World War II scrap books and passed them on to me, giving me a base to share this history at the end of each of the World War II years under the title "Reg's Scrap Books World War II time line".  He had shared these with me during the times he was making them and therefore giving me a different slant on such a very important historical time for our country.

I am able to share the true story of my Grandma Jenny Claar's trip to a homestead in Nebraska from Pennsylvania to the end of the rail line at that time - Missouri Valley Iowa.  Her Grandpa Mills took her and her brother west to be with their dad.  It's a neat story and one that Grandma Jenny had shared with me many times - with the team of oxen's "Buck & Berry", her dad and uncle wearing big cowboy hats with six guns in holsters on a belt around their waists, and actually having native American Indians coming up to their cabin for food - being that most important parts of the story for a young boy.

I am also able to share a "Travel Journal of a trip from Gibbon Nebraska" from my Grandma Alice Phelps.  This journal shares what the country was like and how a trip involving a truck load of household goods owned by my Grandma and Grandpa Phelps along with a car loaded with my mother, grandmother, sister, myself and my Grandma's hat boxes (which I couldn't avoid standing on for a better view out of the car window).  This trip was an actual trip and a true story about what it was like travelling in the 1940's - again a little piece of history saved for my readers.

What I'm saying to all of you is - make sure that you check with your parents and grandparents for their stories that you can save for an important part of your history.  Check all of these stories out - they may surprise you and definitely give you something to share with friends and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment