web stats analysis

Monday, July 4, 2011

Fourth of July 1940 – Gibbon Nebraska (from my book "Gibbon's Secrets")

In honor of the 2011 Fourth of July I wanted to share one of my memories from my book "Gibbon's Secrets".  My memory was of a Fourth of July 71 years ago in Gibbon Nebraska and I thought you would especially enjoy not only the closeness of our family but how some things really don't change that much.  Enjoy!

Fourth of July 1940 – Gibbon Nebraska 

Bud had been so anxious for the 4th of July to begin that he had jumped out of bed as soon as he saw the daylight creeping through his window. The house was quiet and Bud had moved around the house to the front window for a better view of the park. It was a very nice morning with the clear bright sun lighting up Bud’s view of the park across the street.  He thought to himself, ‘I can hardly wait to see the parade with the marching bands and all of the floats. I want to be in the front row to watch the parade when it starts across the street at the corner of the park.’ 


Bud heard both his mom and dad in their room and waited anxiously for them to come out into the front room. When the door opened, his mom came out moving toward the kitchen and said, “Good morning Son, what are you doing up so early?” “Morning Mom, I have been looking forward to this special day for so long that I just couldn't waste it in bed. What time will the parade start forming?”  “I think your dad told me the parade would start getting into position around nine this morning so we have a bit of time to wait. I’m going to start our breakfast so why don’t you get dressed, and by the time you’re ready, breakfast will be, too.” Bud said, “Okay Mom, I am getting kind-of hungry.”


Bud’s dad came up behind him, picked him up and spun him around in the kitchen saying, “Are you ready for the big day Son?” It was hard for Bud’s dad not to feel good when he was looking at his boy.  Bud was laughing when he responded, “You surprised me, Dad. Yes, I’m more than ready. Mom said you thought the parade started lining up at nine this morning. Is that right?”  “That’s what I heard, Bud. Some of the floats will probably get here a little earlier than that. You go ahead and get dressed and we’ll all sit down for breakfast – that is if your sister rolls herself out of bed.” 

 Jean had just walked in the kitchen wearing her robe and fuzzy slippers and said, “I’m up Dad and ready for breakfast anytime. Did I hear you talking about the parade?” Reg said, “Yes you did Jean. It’s good to see you up on this beautiful bright clear day. Why don’t you help your mother with breakfast?” Addie said, “Yes, you can help me by setting the table for breakfast Jean and it’s always nice to see your smiling face in the morning.” Jean said, “Okay, Mom. It’s nice to see your smiling face too.”

Everyone had their jobs to do and so the morning progressed toward a family sit-down breakfast which everyone could enjoy. Promptly at eight thirty the parade participants started gathering on the road that was the north boundary of the park. Bud had moved out to the front porch with his dad and was taking in all of the parade preparations. “Bud, let’s bring a couple of blankets out for our family to sit on while we watch the parade go by our house.” Bud said, “That’s a fantastic idea, Dad.” Reg and Bud went in the house to get the blankets.  Addie and Jean were finished and also came out on the front porch.  “Mom, are we going to head over to the park to pick out a good table for the picnic after the parade goes by?” “Sounds like a good idea to me, Jean. I know there will be a lot of people coming to the picnic this year.”
  
The Phelps family gathered in front of their house just before the parade was ready to start. The first group in the parade was the Gibbon National Guard Color Guard proudly carrying the flags of the United States and Nebraska.  As the Color Guard came in view Reg stood and took off his hat and held it over his heart. Bud quickly followed his Dad’s move by placing his hat over his heart and standing at attention. “I’m so proud that you are my dad, and really like the way you show respect for our flag and country. I want to be able to show the same respect.”

“Well Bud, I am just lucky to have such a son like you and appreciate the respect that you already are showing to our flag and country. I have started a scrap book that will contain all of the stories and pictures found in the newspapers about the war in Europe, as well as stories about our country’s reaction to the war. I’m dedicating the scrap book to you as I feel we are going through a very important phase of history right now, and this will be your own review of this time in your life.”  Bud said, “Thanks Dad, I’ll be proud to own such a book. Can I check it out once in awhile as you’re working on it?” Reg said, “You sure can, that’s the purpose of it.”

The parade continued by the Phelps house with marching bands, floats and a group of veterans from World War I riding on a special float. Bud and Jean really liked the parade with Jean’s favorite being the marching bands. “I’m going to join a marching band when I go to high school, Bud.” “I just bet you do, and you’ll probably want to play your favorite instrument, the clarinet.” “Nice guess little brother, you must have been listening in on my dreams.” “No, but I did see you checking one out in the Sears catalog.”


Addie had the picnic basket ready and Reg was carrying it to the park for her. Addie carried the Lemonade, Jean carried a sack of glasses, and Bud carried the blankets for them to sit on – if needed. Since they had already planned go there right after the parade, and it was so close to their house; they really had their pick of picnic tables. 

“Reg, let’s choose this one because it will be fairly close to the speakers stand and give us a good view of all the activities going on here in the park.” “I like it Addie. It puts us about in the middle of the park where we’ll be able to see all the action.” Jean added, “I love it, Mom.”

The speaker was an Army Captain from the Kearney National Guard unit and started the festivities promptly at noon. The Guard members from Gibbon really were a part of the Kearney National Guard with all of the training facilities in Kearney, and this officer was the man in charge of the unit. The Captain, John Brown, said, “I request that Erskine Claar open this picnic with a prayer.” Bud was surprised that his grandpa was going to give the prayer. “Gee Mom; I didn’t know Grandpa Claar was going to lead us in prayer.” Addie said, “I didn’t either Bud but it sure makes me proud that the captain knows of his strong Christian beliefs.”

Grandpa Claar stood and said, “I will ask you to now honor this time by silently bowing your heads while I say Grace. “Dear Heavenly Father, we thank Thee for this food that is set before us, and ask that you use it to nourish our bodies so that we may be of better service to Thee. I also ask Thee today to be with all of Thy innocent people in Europe that are facing such hardships because of this unwanted war.  Please be with our leaders as they make decisions regarding our support for allied countries; without drawing us into the war. Thank you for Thy faithful people here in Gibbon, and continue to protect them. I pray this in Christ’s name. Amen.”

Reg was the first to speak to his family. “I agree with Erskine, we should do what we can to support our allies but I really don’t want to see us drawn into this war. Jean and Bud, you are blessed to have such a strong Christian grandfather.”

The collection of the Gibbon bands next played our “National Anthem” and everyone stood with their hats off and hands over their hearts to show respect for our country. When they had finished the National Anthem the fluid chords of “Amazing Grace” poured out over the crowd with everyone enjoying that grand old hymn. The uplifting glory of the hymn also caused a reflection on the frailty of life in Europe at the present time.

The rest of the day consisted of many choices for entertainment: games for the younger kids, a baseball game at the west end of the park and the finale of fireworks in the evening. Bud, his dad, and Jimmy went to the baseball game while Addie, Lorraine and Rose watched the younger kids play their games with Jean pitching in to help with them.

All of them met back together to enjoy the fireworks; marveling at the beauty of the exploding rockets. After the fireworks, everyone headed their separate ways. Reg and Addie, with their kids, really didn't have that far to go, but Reg did end up carrying Bud part of the way.  Reg whispered,  "This has been a wonderful day Addie, I think we did a great job celebrating our country's birthday."  Addie whispered back, "We are so blessed Reg, to have such a wonderful country to live in.  I feel so sorry for the families in Europe.  You know they may not have a place to go home to, like we do." 
  

Now, when you are celebrating your own special 4th of July 2011 think back to a much simpler time for families.  But really, is it much different today?  Looking across 70th at all the activity around Holmes Lake Park and getting everything lined up to enjoy family fun at our oldest daughter and her husbands place is really not that much different than it was around our family in Gibbon 71 years ago.  I wish everyone reading this blog a Happy Fourth of July 2011 and "God Bless America". 






  

















  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment