web stats analysis

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Gibbon"s Secrets - Forward

     Many of the incidences in this story are true, but there are also some, although strictly fictional, definitely are appropriate for the time frame of the 1940’s.  Many of the individual characters in the story were truly a part of this story but some of them are fictional, and their resemblance to actual individuals is strictly coincidental.  Some of the names have been purposely changed or added to the story to complete the fictional picture.
With the ‘Great Depression’ nearing its end, and the war in Europe appearing to be getting stronger; the small town of Gibbon, in the middle of Nebraska, acquired a look of change.
The Phelps family lived in the last house on Park Street.  Their house was across the street from Gibbon’s North Side Park.  Reg and Addie Phelps had lived in their small, comfortable home for over ten years, and were good examples of the hard-working Nebraskans. The family consisted of a precocious daughter Jean and an energetic son Bud; plus two sets of grandparents, Frank and Alice Phelps, and Erskine and Jenny Claar. 
     Even though the war was far across the Atlantic Ocean, it had already impacted the everyday routines in Gibbon.  The newspapers and radios added to this war influence through pictures on the front pages and the speeches on the radio. 
Reg Phelps, my father, started collecting pictures and stories about the war at the beginning of 1940 – thinking that it would be a collection of true to life living history for me, his son, Bud.
I want to thank each person individually that has shown me support and has contributed toward the process of completing this story.  Starting with my wife Pat, she has listened to my stories, edited the book chapter by chapter, and in general has shown her full support to me.  My oldest daughter, Bridget, has been my main editor, and has spent hours making little meaningful marks on the pages of my book.  Thankfully she didn’t use red ink or the pages would have appeared like they were bleeding.  As an example, she told me – ‘the rule is that you shouldn’t use single quotation marks inside a paragraph unless they are inside double quotation marks’.  As you can see I didn’t always obey her because I just felt sometimes it added a little character.
My middle daughter, Shauna, did a fantastic job in creating the cover for Gibbon’s Secrets, along with assistance from Bridget’s husband Don – my excellent photographer son-in-law.
I have used several individuals as readers of the various drafts of my book: Wendy (my youngest daughter), Frank, Sue Ellen, and Jeanne; and I thank them for their time and input.
The pleasure I get from reading about history and remembering the everyday happenings of my youth has prompted me to write this story.  I feel enriched by the heritage of my family and the love that was shown throughout my early years as a boy in Gibbon Nebraska…

I therefore dedicate this story to my family and friends.  Read and enjoy my enhanced remembrance of the 40’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment