web stats analysis

Friday, May 28, 2010

Why my dedication to the US Navy?

I am dedicated to the US Navy because my hero in true life, and in my book Gibbon's Secrets, was my neighbor Dale Pitke. (who's ship the "USS Arizona" was sunk when Pearl Harbor was attacked on December 7th 1941)  Dale was home on leave and my family was with him at his folks house for Sunday dinner on that fatal December 7th.  I made a pledge to Dale that some day I would join the Navy and ten years later, March 1951, I did join the Navy and spent time on the aircraft carrier USS Valley Forge.


The picture below is of  an F/A-18F Super Hornet assigned to the Fighting Checkmates of Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 211 as it flies over the aircraft carrier USS Enterprise (CVN 65).  The USS Enterprise is modern and much larger than the USS Valley Forge that I served aboard, but I still have that memory of time served on the "Happy Valley", as she was fondly referred to.

An F/A-18F Super Hornet assigned to the Fighting Checkmates of Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 211 flies over the aircraft carrier USS Enterprise (CVN 65).

Isn't that a gorgeous view of the Super Hornet! 

No comments:

Post a Comment